The second release of the European Union's pre-arrival security and safety programme, the Import Control System 2 (ICS2), will come into operation on 1 March 2023. It covers all goods transported by air to or through the EU.
WHAT IS THE ICS2 ?
ICS2 is the EU Customs Advance Cargo Information System. It facilitates the free flow of trade through data-driven customs security processes adapted to international business models. It collects information on all goods entering the EU before their arrival by means of an Entry Summary Declaration (ESD). The system is used by EU customs authorities to ensure the security of all people living in the EU.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE ICS2?
- Strengthen the protection of EU citizens and the internal market against security and safety threats.
- Enable EU customs authorities to better identify high-risk shipments and intervene at the most appropriate point in the supply chain.
- Facilitate the legitimate flow of most trade across borders.
- Simplify the exchange of information between economic operators (EOs) and EU customs authorities.
TIMING OF ICS2 DEPLOYMENT ?
As a freight forwarder, we make the necessary arrangements in accordance with the terms of the contracts. In order to optimise the process and to avoid any blockage of the goods, it is important that importing customers provide their foreign suppliers with :
- Their EORI number for transmission to the forwarder at departure for ENS
- The HS code (customs tariff code) to be used for transmission of the ENS by the outgoing forwarder.